The January meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at the Goggin Ice Center. The meeting was called to order at 6:52 p.m. Board members present were: Beth Akers, Bruce Gray, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, David Marado, Kristen Schwind. Not present were: Ron Spaulding, Michelle Deaton. Others present: Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator)
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the Dec 10th, 2013 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Jen and seconded by Kristen.
Treasurer's Report: $58,274.18 in bank account. Received and paid ice bill for HS Club Tournament. Capital Varsity is paid in full. To date we have not received our winter ice bills.
Equipment Report: Puck bucket refilled and pucks labeled.
Registrar's Report: BTHL reminder that roster changes are set for league play. Applies to MYHL also. Any changes at this point are only for non-league play.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: Coaching education updates….all coaches are current. Steve stepping down from Bantam team. Will focus on upcoming evaluations. Call to coaches: we want to lock guys in as soon as possible. Start with current coaches. Will also leverage pre-evaluations from coaches in the evaluation process. Trying to get access to Miami Hockey Camp DB for comparison purposes. Possibility of BCYHA offering our own Level 1 coaching program and offer it through Miami University and participants get college credit. Need further investigation. Health/Safety Report: May need backup physician for Concussion Software. HS Team sponsors tournament each year. We need to review USA Hockey policy to see if there is any requirement for onsite EMT’s and under what circumstances, Beth to review and report. Should we have each team have a CPR certified person? Goggin Representative's Report:
BTHL Representative's Report: Jason Bowra indicating EOY tournaments just around corner. All volunteers welcome. Make sure all players meet 50% rule. Try to format as double elimination with at most 1 overnight.
MYHL Representative's Report: Had call in Nov. Penalty time is 90 seconds. Thing in Dayton about the clock was a mistake. 12 minutes is the rule. League tournament will be in at least 2 arenas. Second week of March. Seeding rounds at other rinks. Sat and Sunday at Goggin. Need to get trophies for tournament. Will use same guy in Indiana. Old Business: For next meeting, call for coaches, call for board members, review old bylaws and refine. New Business: Number of skaters per division for next year: Defer to next meeting when Ron is present. Still have 80+ Tickets in our bank for Blue Jackets: Need to figure out how to utilize. Call for coaches: See above Recommendations for MidAm development camps: Need to notify coaches. Evaluation Planning: See Above. Goggin planning 3 on 3 Spring Hockey: Defer until John present. Letter to 8th grade Bantams. Eligibility for HS Hockey and summer opportunities: Ron to write out. BTHL and MYHL year end tournaments (Dates, rules, etc.): See Above. Next Month: Call for board candidates: 5 positions to be filled. Need to discuss need for Association Credit Card. A motion was made to adjourn by Bruce and seconded by Kristen at 8:49 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 11th, 6:45 p.m. at Goggin Ice Center, Room 227.
Meeting Minutes February 11, 2014 Board Members/Representatives Present:
Ron Spaulding, President Egon Kraan, Vice President Michelle Deaton, Treasurer Kristen Schwind, Registrar
Beth Akers Bruce Gray Jen Lehman David Marado John Mihalik
Guest presentation on Lady Sabrehawks U14 hockey team Steve Bolyard, Lady SabreHawks Coach, and Jim Coggin came by to determine Butler County interest in participating in a U14 all-girls hockey team, the Lady Sabrehawks. Other associations that may participate are Indian Hill, Cincinnati, and Dayton. The team would be independent and play up to 25 games a season with 4-6 double headers a season on local ice. Also, the team would travel regionally, up to 6 hours away. Games would be 14 minute periods. The season would run from mid-September to mid-March. Steve and Jim hope to coordinate jamborees with the Miami Women’s Club team to have them participate. Three Butler County families are already involved in the team. Ron Spaulding believes this is a good opportunity and that we can manage this. The team would get an hour of ice a week. The team aims for two practices a week. Indian Hill handled rostering this year; we may have to roster next year but probably not. The team had 20 members this year, 9-12 would show up for games. Ron suggested 5:30 or 8:30 timeslot for practice and Steve agreed that would be fine. Egon asked about insurance and if a team rostered through another org. could practice on BC ice; Kristin said no, we “claim” players and coaches for insurance purposes but don’t roster them. Ron and Steve discussed ice allocation as Butler County can’t sublet Goggin ice. Steve agreed to work with Goggin. Bantam Bronze/Silver parents A group of about 10 bantam bronze and silver parents came by to air grievances and discuss fees. Since the teams merged the parents felt their fees should be adjusted. Egon led them through a spreadsheet explaining the fees. During the discussion it came to light that the team didn’t have notifications of when to practice since the merger and lost several sheets of full ice. After much back and forth the board admitted that we didn’t coordinate well with the teams over the merger and relied on the word of one parent and Steve McGrinder that the merger should even occur. The board apologized for the mess since the merger and the board agreed to communicate more effectively its decisions. Ron agreed to recalculate fees. Secretary’s report Meeting minutes were accepted. Treasurer’s report · $68,233.69 balance. Ice bill of 66,288.80 due this week. · 58,691.71 outstanding fees. · Michelle still has to pay high school club coaches and her total contains the MYHL tournament fees. · Michelle didn’t add two bantam tournaments, the team can pay now. Kroger: every family has to send Michelle a screenshot of their Kroger Plus balance to show their balance. Kroger rewards has changed and we need to communicate that to families. Goggin Representative · Three-on-three hockey is set for Sundays March 30-May 4 (check dates). Coaches from Goggin will run the benches. Jamboree style. 36 players per age group. One-minute shifts. · Also, post-season training will be Thursdays 6:15-7:15pm for squirt, peewee, and bantam. 12 players per age group, 2 goalies. · John explained the squirt B team’s schedule set-up. Tier 1 AAA program with Queen City Hockey Association · Proposed program for squirt-bantam aged players to play at the highest level; 2 top players from each age group · Informational meeting was 2/10 · Ron and board not sure about this proposition Indian Hill incident Dennis Schwind reported this incident. Several Butler County players told him at a Friday night game that an Indian Hill Winter Club employee was choking a BCYHA player and that the player was grabbed by the neck by a night manager. The team was not assigned a locker room and instead given a play room in which to dress. After the game several of the players went to shower in a locker room with towels draped around them. There was a children’s’ event that evening. The employee grabbed the BCYHA player by his back pack, causing abrasions on his shoulders. Ron said we need to record statements and go to the hockey association and IHWC’s management about future locker room and shower use. We need to know what to do going forward and what Indian Hill will do to ensure we have the proper facilities going forward. Miscellaneous · Evaluations are April 26 and May 3. · Blue Jackets are sending 87 tickets and a check for the March 1st game. · Egon suggested offering bantam bronze free tickets and ice time for the unfortunate way their season went. He will draft an email and send it to the board. · Deeply discounted tickets will be offered to BCYHA families for quantities up to five. · Letter to 2nd-year bantams was submitted Registrar report · We had to add a goalie to peewee one for the weekend · Tournament time, coaches want to double roster players. Will be considered on an as-needed basis, we need to know who is not going to the tournament before a player will be added. Adjourned 10:05pm Submitted by David Marado
The March meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at the Goggin Ice Center. The meeting was called to order at 6:49 p.m. Board members present were: Beth Akers, Michelle Deaton, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, David Marado, Kristen Schwind, Ron Spaulding. Not present were: Bruce Gray.
Others present: Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator)
Guests: Rich Bohon, Jennifer Sens, Tina Ector, Heath Kelly
Sens & Ector: Questions regarding adjusted fees, Egon explained. Questions regarding team sizes for next year. Ron explained team selection procedure and recap of merge. Definitely need 1 house Bantam team. Will have 46 total Bantams next year if all eligible players choose to play. Still unknown how many will go to HS level. Definitely will not make teams too thin next season.
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the Feb 11th, 2013 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Egon and seconded by Michelle.
Treasurer's Report: $40,089.50 in bank account. Ice bill of $66,288.80 is paid. Communication from BC HS Team is poor. Stacy White ordered Concussion Software. Ordered 100 tests that expire after 1 year. Will baseline all kids that are 13 and older. Motion was made by Beth to reduce B3 fees by $86 and keep B2 fees the same at $1340. Egon seconded. One abstention David Marado. New bills will be sent by Michelle. Payment is due immediately.
Equipment Report: We have enough pucks to finish the season.
Registrar's Report: A couple of PeeWee kids have been double rostered to teams for post season games. Criteria has been met for those kids.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: Most all coaches are returning. Plan to offer pre-checking clinic as part of power skating.
Health/Safety Report: IHWC Incident was reported to USA Hockey. IHWC cancelled subsequent game at Goggin.
Goggin Representative's Report: Still some spots in 3 on 3. 4 teams at each level. Teams will change each week. Post season training spots limited due to limited ice.
BTHL Representative's Report: Call for board members. Squirt and Peewee penalties were finally posted.
MYHL Representative's Report: Tournament went well. Peewees finished second. Volunteers very helpful. Considering extension of tournament next year. Make it more of a show than in the past. Recognize teams up front, pictures, etc. Will mail bill for trophies to Michelle.
* Number of skaters per division for next year.
* Call for coaches.
* Call for board members.
* HS Locker Room incident at Indian Hill needs to be discussed.
* Bantam Bronze Fee Structure
* U14 Girls Practice Ice
* 2014-15 Evaluations: Reviewed draft eval plan from Steve. Next time, discuss commitment fee.
* 2013-14 Uncollected fees - Steps to collect?
* FCA Clinic
* MidAm Tryouts
A motion was made to adjourn by Michelle and seconded by David at 8:59 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Apr 8th, 6:45 p.m. at Goggin Ice Center, Room 227.
The May meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at the Miami University Equestrian Center. The meeting was called to order at 6:49 p.m. Board members present were: Ron Spaulding, Egon Kraan, Michelle Deaton, Kristen Schwind, Dwight Huddleston, Beth Akers, David Marado, Kelly Hubbard, Jim Cooper, Greg Cox, Joel Kirk. Others present John Mihalik
Guests: Rich Bohan, Tom Thompson, Mitch Mahoney, Mark Tincher.
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the April meeting were presented and approved. Motion to approve by Kristen and seconded by David.
Election of Officers: Egon Kraan: President, Dwight Huddleston: VP, Michelle Deaton: Treasurer, Kristen Schwind: Registrar, Secretary: David Marado
Treasurer's Report: $52,772.42 in bank account. Haven’t received any invoices from other venues for MYHL tournament. (SouthMetro and Springboro) $2885.94 in outstanding ice fees across all teams. 2 families who still owe have skaters skating with us.
Equipment Report: Score sheets, additional pinnies & pucks: Defer until next meeting. Locker needs to be vacated by Friday if we want it cleaned.
Registrar's Report: The only issue: MidAm is changing policy about team rosters for teams that recruit but it doesn’t affect us.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: Steve McGrinder has resigned. John Mihalik is interested in role. Board approved position by unanimous consent.
Health/Safety Report: Beth Akers is the new Health/Safety coordinator.
Goggin Representative's Report: Hockey school a month away. Will announce pre-season events mid-summer.
BTHL Representative's Report: Nothing to report. Jim Cooper the new rep
MYHL Representative's Report: David Marado remains the rep. Going to ramp up tournament this year. Conf call on May 28th to discuss the number of teams.
2014-15 Evaluations: Registration details being wrapped up. Finalization at May board meeting.
Call for Board Members: 1 nomination received. Ron has list of potential nominees that he will reach out to.
TPH Hockey presented by Kevin Ackley: For profit org out of Huntsville. Has history running SE Thunder organization. Kevin believes TPH will be good for this area. Cost $3,400 Squirt, $3,900 PeeWee, $4,500 Bantam plus travel. No concern TPH would harm local organizations. TPH would arrange to have local kids practice with local teams. Possibility of 5-8 kids that may make teams from BC. TPH has Exec board that makes decisions, advisory board there to advise. Tryouts in May. With BCYHA being a partner, they will keep someone on advisory committee. Motion to approve BCYHA partnership passed 4-0 with 2 abstentions. BCYHA endorsing Kevin Ackley as rep to TPH advisory board by unanimous consent. (6-0)
Welcome New Board Members
Election of Officers for coming year
Pond Hockey and/or other summer ice events: Pond Hockey dates are set. We need to decide how we want to divide up ice slots and what we want to charge to recoup the ice. Propose Summer Pass for Pond Hockey at reduced fee. $10 per session and prepay $60 to cover all sessions. Goalies skate free. Finalize details for all but first session at next meeting. First session is for evals: 40 min Squirt, 50 min for each of PeeWee and Bantam separated by Ice Cut. HS Pond Hockey is seven 1 hr sessions for $60. Need to pay by first date. Board members to sign up for session responsibility. Commit at the next board meeting. Will use stickers this year to ensure payment.
Review BCYHA Bylaws: Defer until next meeting.
BC High School eval dates: No formal evals…practice will start in fall, early Oct.
Coaching Assignments: Need to get active applications from Steve. Bantam 1: Pardo, Bantam 2: Open, Bantam 3: Coggin, PeeWee 1: Mahoney, PeeWee 2 or 3: Tincher, Other PeeWee position open, Squirt 1: Moore, Squirt 2 & 3 MYHL (Poppin and Poley)
Finalize Team Selection and Call Assignment
A motion was made to adjourn by Beth and seconded by David at 8:55 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Wednesday May 14th, 10:54 p.m. at the Miami University Equestrian Center.
Dwight suggested using paypal for transactions, the fee is 3% and there may be a non-profit discount.
Blue Jackets still owe three sheets of ice, memorabilia, and a suite to BCYHA for last year’s fund-raiser.
BW3 Oxford owes money for fund-raiser as well
We can use Amazon smile to buy products and they will give a portion to BCYHA if buyers go to https://smile.amazon.com/ and select BCYHA as the beneficiary
Equipment report: Have enough pucks for pond hockey, and Dwight has a partial box of pucks for the season, no other equipment needs. (Did we purchase some via hockeysuperstore?)
Kristen is assigning jersey numbers or assuring every player has a number.
July 20 is registrar training for Mid-Am’s new registration software
Kristen said coaches need the following items/training: USA hockey number, concussion training, safesport training, and coaching training. Mid-Am is adding another concussion module that our people need to take.
Coaching coordinator’s report: John was in camp; we still need peewee three and bantam two coaches
Health and safety: Mid-Am discussion covers this.
Goggin report: Just received the ice contracts, they are due 7/21, Dwight and Egon will complete them this weekend
BTHL report: nothing
MYHL report: Kevin Ackley wrote up a new by-law on game length (attached). Since attendance was low that was all that was discussed.
Roster moves: an email composed and sent to a parent questioning player placement. The player was not a “bubble” player, at this point the issue is closed.
Kristen said we need to finalize goalie situation to finalize rosters. Peewee goalie situation is currently one goalie at peewee one and two goalies on peewee two. There is a skate-up request (goalie on peewee two would like to play at bantam two). Coaching coordinator has to sign off on this and in an email indicated he would like to speak with the player about it.
Bantam two roster has 11 skaters. We need to follow up with John Mihalik re: coaches. Potential candidates are Sens and Cameron. We need to consult data to see if a player with a parent interested in coaching could skate up to bantam two.
Pond Hockey: Light attendance; Jim McCargish and Frank Guggenbiller have run the sessions.
(Side note: McCargish is the high school coach, has he been hired for this season? Ron Spaulding indicated that while most comments on Jim have been positive, some have been negative.)
Squirt/peewee/bantam attendance has picked up and we need to ensure we have BCYHA coverage to collect attendance fees and someone on the ice.
7/24 pond hockey will have jersey sizing and equipment swap
Also, players must have a USA hockey number if they are on the ice at pond hockey.
Mid Am meeting: Kristen communicates rules changes from Mid-Am since she is our registrar. She gave a presentation on the meeting. Highlights included:
How to amend bylaws using Roberts’ rules of order. We must vote to
Mid-Am bylaws are in line with USA Hockey’s; pp 108-109 USA Hockey Annual Guide has further explanation of this.
Online instruction for training officials is coming soon
Tracking major penalties; punishment should be cumulative; penalties follow the player regardless of the team
Mini-mites is a new hockey category (need the ages)
How we label highs chool hockey team was clarified
All coaches and officials have to do background screen starting 9/1/14; no longer checking driving records
Need minimum attire policy for locker rooms
SafeSport to be fully implemented this year
Need to make sure our coaches look for up-to-date crests on referees
BCYHA need a safe place for document storage for safeSport information and incident reports
Mid-Am SafeSport presentation
Take bullying seriously
Mid-Am will help with any incident
Transparency is important
By-law ten-our bylaws should state we follow USA Hockey bylaws and as USA Hockey changes their bylaws we will change ours
We have to alert Kirsch CPA that we are going to change our bylaws
Greg Cox suggested we find good bylaws and use them; Dwight suggested we all find a set of bylaws and bring them in August; Joel suggested we identify the minimum sections we need and build them into our bylaws
Suggested that we shelve bylaw discussion to August
Guest: Tom Sens voiced his concerns over the amount of skaters on Bantam two and the lack of a coach. 16 skaters were offered position on Bantam two and ten accepted. Tom wants to ensure that the team will have enough players. Tom also discussed coaching vacancy and offered to assist the head coach. The board will contact John Mihalik about the coaching vacancy and discuss ways to adjust the roster for the benefit of the players.
Secretary’s report: was accepted with changes
Treasurer’s report: Michele paid Buckeye Travel 5,820 for league fees; we have 6,022.37 on account.
Michele will compose an email to families to remind them they can pay their league fees now.
Michele will order jerseys this week.
Equipment report: Dwight ordered pucks.
Kristen paid web-hosting fees.
We have helmet stickers if needed; if a player needs some, contact Kristen. Also, we are stocked up on score sheets but need to keep track of them.
New electronic registering for the year (through Mid-Am?)
Registrar training was last month
No more roster printing; web-links for current team rosters, tournaments will have access to e-rosters
All coaches need credentials. If the coach doesn’t meet qualifications, the coach can be “red-lined” and cannot coach.
Kristen has all the birth certificates she needs
Coaching coordinator’s report: John was out of town and absent.
Frank Guggenbiller is the peewee three coach, still need bantam two coach.
Approved addition of a goalie to bantam three
Discussed skate-up request from peewee three to bantam three. Marado will email the parent on the board’s decision to deny based on USA Hockey guidelines.
Preseason training start 8/18.
Health and safety: Concussion software has been purchased. We can make appointments for 13-year olds to be base-line tested. BCYHA will pay for the first 100 tests. Communications director will send out a note that players can now be tested.
Goggin report: Ice contracts have been signed. Dwight will put in ice times when the schedule is formatted and put it on the website.
BTHL report: nothing
MYHL report: League wanted to know if peewee three could play at Olympic level; board decided that with first year coach and first-year players this was not the time.
Louisville will play with a team that has three 16-year olds on a bantam team. They will play as U-16.
Roster moves: Goalie skate-up from peewee to bantam approved.
Pond hockey had low attendance, need to advertise more and solidify schedule earlier
Bylaw discussion: a subcommittee will be set up by Marado. The committee will meet and revise bylaws.
Fast-track email voting on pressing issues (coach approval)
Secretary needs to put board meeting dates on website
BCYHA will have a preseason skills clinic on 8/27
Bantam checking clinic
Squirt and peewee skills (skating, stick-handling)
Guest: Rich Bohan reported that peewee one will play seven tournaments; we need to add 280 to ice fees per player.
Secretary’s report: was accepted with one change
Bank balance: $3,426.48
Bantam one registered for one tournament; squirt one registered for four tournaments
Two small ice bills
Lost $3,000 on pond hockey
Michelle has received a few payments
Michelle will email families reminding them of payment schedule. Website has the ability to show balances and add charges and get balance reminders.
Discussion of website’s accounting capabilities. Michelle will do financial statements on the website. Michelle will continue to use QuickBooks for reporting and enter payments into the website.
Pucks are in
Jerseys are ordered
Michelle working on getting all Buckeye Travel jerseys
Plenty of score sheets in the locker. Socks are in at Capital Varsity
We have five water bottle holders that hold six bottles apiece, we need 30 Gatorade-sized bottles to fit them
Team manager meeting is on 9/19 at 6:30pm; coaches will meet at 7:30. John Mihalik will also meet with coaches at this time
No rosters have been submitted
Board needs to meet the USA Hockey requirements for volunteers: USA Hockey number, SafeSport, concussion training, and background check
Kristen collects this info, she should not have to police those who haven’t done it
Coaching coordinator’s report:
John needs to know what modules coaches have; Kristen will get a report to John when she gets all the USA Hockey numbers
Greg Cox suggested a google doc that has all requirements on it that individuals can check off as they meet them
Coaches need: USA Hockey number, SafeSport, concussion training, coaching educational program, and background check
John is working on getting an assistant for Frank Guggenbiller on peewee three
Goalie session is 9/11/14, only squirt travel and above will participate; we will pay Justin (goalie coach); should we add $40 to ice fees or have goalies pay individually?
John and Rich will help during goalie session
Health and safety: Concussion testing can begin 9/15.
Association will have testing 9/18 and 9/24 in the Oxford office
Concussion testing is optional but strongly encouraged, not a requirement to participate
Jr. Redhawks is now four six-week sessions and now two sessions per week
Half of Saturday hockey skating session is skating lesson and the other half is a game
B.A.D. hockey starts week of 9/15/14
Home ice schedules will be distributed at coaches’ meeting
John will send email reiterating Goggin rules and procedures to BCYHA families
BTHL report: nothing
Away games which are far from Oxford should be scheduled later in the day
Scheduling to take place 9/19/14
David Marado will ask about double-rostering MYHL to BTHL teams
A bantam goalie is playing down for the Cincinnati team
Roster moves: Egon Kraan has two exception reports; Spartans will pay for some training with BCYHA; board needs to calculate the charges. Mike Cameron and Marc Tincher also have exception reports
Bylaw discussion: Need to schedule subcommittee meeting at the 10/14/2014 meeting
Fundraising: Each board member should come to 10/14/2014 meeting with two fund-raising ideas
High school team only has 7 skaters and two goalies; we are looking to at joining a pool of players for teams in Cincinnati. We are waiting on Cincinnati to contact us regarding bringing in pool players. We will need to divvy up the ice time the HS team will not be using.
Secretary needs to put board meeting dates on website
Varsity open house 9/26 6pm-8pm; skate with hockey and synchro teams.
Website updates - (not sure if this fell into the part when you were here). Credits/billing being entered, but the website is live, so there is room for error. Beth will try to have all teams billed and all credits thru 11/6 by Friday afternoon. Once this is complete and email will be sent to membership letting them know - also to mention updates are ongoing.
Coaching Coordinator's Report
John Mihalik came - Coaching Coordinator/Goggin Rep report: He will be contacting coaches regarding certification and modules, John is willing and able to help with ice scheduling as Goggin begins allocating in January. Dwight will provide the templates to him from previous years to streamline the process.
John is looking for another high school team to fill the high school tournament this weekend.
Goggin Representative's Report
Hockey school registration opens January 19.
BTHL Representative's Report
MYHL Representative's Report
Michele tried to schedule pictures (need to find out who took them last year)
Constitution/Bylaws: An amended constitution was shared via google doc to board prior to meeting. Each board member is to review and be prepared to discuss for the January meeting. Discussion can begin prior to limit the time spent at meeting. Would like to send to membership for vote by February. Bylaws will be addressed after Constitution approved. The header above bylaws stating they are not current is to be removed. Suggestion to wait to vote until spring registration to get the membership onboard was mentioned.
How can we help make the Taylor Metcalf a success?
Egon will reach out to Jim Stearns; shooting for 6-8 teams
Pre/post U16 team proposed Pre/Post season teams - John and Egon working to get this off the ground. A good option for those players formerly on the BCYHA high school team. Option of U16 team is viable and will be discussed further.
Bantam 2 - formal decision needs to be made on the double rostering vs. permanent move for players. Not enough board members present for a majority vote, so Egon will present the issue for discussion via email.