The January meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at Goggin Ice Center on January 10, 2012. The meeting was called to order at 6:45 pm. Board members present were Ben Banks, Bob Blair, Egon Kraan, Gabe Holt, Greg Phillips, Kristen Schwind, Michelle Deaton, and Ron Spaulding. Board Members absent were Bruce Gray and Dwight Huddleston. Other Representatives present were John Mihalik (Goggin Representative) and Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator).
Guests: John DePrie, Jen Lehman, Allan Kleve, and Rick Poirier.
Secretary’s Report: The minutes for the November meeting were presented and approved with a motion from Egon Kraan and a second from Michelle Deaton.
Treasurer’s Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $67,053.90; $59,985.92 at First Merchants and $7,067.98 at Huntington. The general collection of fees is going well. It was noted we have been paying ref fees for Squirt B where we should not have been and will communicate the issue with Goggin staff. This year’s totals for reimbursements have been substantial for modules, etc. but funds are there to cover the costs.
Registrar’s Report:All birth certificates have been mailed to USA Hockey and are in the process of being verified. Once verified the individual will not have to present another birth certificate for USA Hockey programs. Rosters will be reprinted after verification. Background screening is complete for coaches. A review of the constitution will take place over the next few months. Evaluation dates have been posted on the web site with details forthcoming. It was mentioned to look at an electronic voting process for the board election but it will probably not be in place for this year. Miami Hockey School information has been posted on the BCYHA web site.
Equipment Report: The white jersey that was lost has been found. Extra socks and a few extra red jerseys are in the locker.
Coaching Coordinator’s Report: All coaches are up to date on their USA hockey modules. One on one meetings with head coaches are being scheduled. A review of penalties at all ages is being conducted looking for trends in bad penalties. Findings will be communicated with coaches. Throughout the year there are times when coaches are able to attend practices. An established procedure will be set to ensure proper replacements are obtained.
BTHL Representative’s Report: No new information.
MYHL Representative’s Report: End of season Tournament is scheduled. Some games have been moved from Friday at Goggin to South Metro. Volunteers will be needed from the board and the organization for the tournament which is the last weekend in February.
Safety/Health Report: Documents concerning head injury have been placed on the web site. A process will be formalized to remove judgment calls from coaches concerning head injuries. Parents will be required to sign a document every year stating they understand the head injury policy. The need to have proper equipment that fits properly was re-emphasized. One team has received baseline testing for concussions.
Ø On-Ice and Off-Ice Incidents:
Ø Communications: Egon presented a draft proposal to assist in obtaining sponsorships. All teams except one are providing updates on Facebook.
Ø High School Club Governance: Allan Kleve, team manager of the club team was in attendance. It was approved to move the club team under the full umbrella of BCYHA. Feedback was received from many club families prior to the meeting with no objections.
Ø Next Year’s team composition: Different scenarios were discussed for how/what teams would be fielded next year. It is likely there will be 1 HS Club, 2 Bantams, 3 PeeWees, and 2 Squirts. Ice time will be affected but is manageable. Talk was given about providing jamboree type events for the Mite division. Pre-season jamboree type events for various age groups was talked about for August.
Ø Call For Coaches: Current coaches will be contacted to request their interest for next year. Current coaches seeking to return will have their applications verified. New coaches applying will submit full applications.
Ø Call For Board Members: The meeting was ended due to time restraints of the room before this topic was discussed.
A motion was made to adjourn by Michelle Deaton and seconded by Ben Banks at 9:04 PM. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 14, 2012, 6:45 PM at Goggin Ice Center, room 227.
Submitted by Greg Phillips
The May meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at the Community Room of Butler Rural Electric Cooperative on May 8th. The meeting was called to order at 6:45 pm. Board members present were: Michelle Deaton, Bruce Gray, Gabe Holt, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, Kristen Schwind, Ron Spaulding. Board members absent were Josh Hillard. Other Representatives present were John Mihalik (Goggin Representative) and Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator).
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the April 10, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve Egon and seconded by Bruce.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $31,388.37. $28,260.19 at First Merchants and $3,128.18 at Huntington. Ice bills outstanding are $27,882.30 plus $5,686.68 for the High School Club Team. There are still over $3,000 in ice fees due to BCYHA that are in the process of being collected from families. The KrogerPlus Card program is changing and notifications have been sent to participating families.
Equipment Report: Pucks and pinnies purchased for team evaluations have been paid for. Extra pinnies purchased this year were barely enough with the increased number of skaters at evals. We will need to consider purchasing more pinnies for next year given expected growth of the program. Question as to whether we need to vacate the locker at Goggin. John to let us know. Egon borrowed 20 pucks from Jr Redhawks near the end of the season and isn't sure if they were ever paid back.
Registrar's Report: Online registration process went very well. Need to reopen registration at some point for new skaters that join over the summer. High School registration currently open and running with no problems.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: We're still actively looking for coaches for both Bantam teams and the PeeWee House and Mixed Age PeeWee Travel teams. Skaters who were unable to attend both eval sessions MUST attend Pond Hockey sessions and be evaluated. There was discussion around the need to have additional scrimmage ice time for evaluations, especially at the PeeWee and Bantam levels where game skills are weighted more heavily. More discussion will be needed before adopting any changes.
Health/Safety Report: Fit and integrity of hockey equipment for skaters needs to be a priority. It was suggested to have a safety inspection of all equipment at the beginning of the season to identify unsafe, expired or improperly fitting equipment and let parents know if equipment needs to be replaced. John agreed to help with inspections and provide consultation for proper fitting.
BTHL Representative's Report: Annual meeting is this Sat May 12th at 10 am. Expected Agenda: Confirm board, talk about a fee increase of $25 per team to reflect ice costs and awards. Discuss success of rule changes, fair play points, 90 second penalties. Vote on preseason tournament, how to improve, what to do about roster variables. Year end tourney, location, etc. Goggin to host BTHL seeding tournament Sept 14th, 15th & 16th.
MYHL Representative's Report: John to take on the role of MYHL Rep. Kevin Ackley is new president. First mtg is expected toward end of may. Still looking for a coach for the Squirt B team.
* 2012-2013 Call for Board Members: Welcome to new board members Josh Hillard, Kelly Hubbard and Jen Lehman and returning board members Bruce Gray and Ron Spaulding.
* Evaluation Process: Electronic registration and check-in process went very well, reducing overall effort and increased accuracy of data. Generally positive feedback on structure and addition of objective measures to first day skills sessions. Ran short on some colored pinnies during scrimmage sessions of larger groups but managed to get everyone properly evaluated and scored. Analysis of data and correlation with coaches revealed eval process to be very accurate and effective. Will look into adding more scrimmage sessions for next year at least for PeeWee and Bantam levels.
* Mite Team Request: After careful evaluation it was determined that BCYHA will not add a Mite team for 2012-2013.
* Election of Officers: The following were elected as officers for the 2012-2013 year. President - Ron Spaulding, Vice President - Egon Kraan, Treasurer - Michelle Deaton, Registrar - Kristen Schwind, Secretary - Dwight Huddleston.
The following were appointed as league representatives for BCYHA. BTHL - Josh with
Gabe as alternate/back-up, MYHL - John. A yet to be determined parent from one of the
MYHL teams is expected to be appointed at a later date as an alternate to assist John.
Kelly Hubbard was appointed Fundraising Chair and Jen Lehman Communications Chair.
* 2012-2013 Call for Coaches: No further comments.
* 2012 Youth Hockey Parent Survey Results: Surveys were sent to BCYHA and Jr. Redhawk families requesting their input on the 2011-2012 hockey season. 64 families responded ranking survey items based on importance and satisfaction. Areas of greatest satisfaction remain the strength of our coaches and quality of our facilities. Areas of concern are communication within teams, between parents and the association and between coaches and parents. Parent involvement with the association was identified in the survey as an important possible area of improvement. It was also clear that there is a desire for more off season ice sessions, mini clinics, camps, etc. Plans are being made to accommodate the off season requests and to have greater team representation with the association.
* Sponsorship Opportunities: Sponsorship document is under review and will be added as a discussion point for the June meeting.
A motion was made to adjourn by Bruce Gray and seconded by Egon Kraan at 9:52 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 12, 6:45 p.m. at Butler REC.
The June meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at the Community Room of Butler Rural Electric Cooperative on June 12th. The meeting was called to order at 6:45 p.m. Board members present were: Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, Ron Spaulding. Board members absent were Michelle Deaton, Bruce Gray, Gabe Holt, Kristen Schwind. Other Representatives present were John Mihalik (Goggin Representative) and Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator).
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the May 08, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Jen Lehman and seconded by Kelly Hubbard.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $8,078.59 with $4,505.71 at First Merchants and $3,572.88 at Huntington Bank. The BCYHA ice bill is paid. The HS Club bill is not paid yet but Michelle has been in contact with Gail at Goggin and Allen Kleve. Payment should be made by the end of the week. Michelle has $320 in checks for the LaRosa fundraiser that she will be depositing.
Equipment Report: We don't need to clear the BCYHA locker. John believes we should be able to secure a second locker if necessary. The request should be sent to Gail.
Registrar's Report: The Mid Am registrar's meeting will be held July 21st in Columbus. Kristen will attend. We need to get player numbers assigned. Ron to send spreadsheet to Kristen.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: We hired Jim coggin for the PeeWee house coaching position and are actively searching for assistants to help Jim. We are actively Interviewing candidates for the PeeWee mixed age team but have not yet settled on a candidate. We are considering providing coaches guidance around upper and lower bounds for game numbers at next meeting. We need to reach out to coaches now to see what tourneys they want to attend so we can plan for it in ice schedule. We would also like to coordinate among BCYHA teams so that we have a stronger presence and sense of comeraderie at select tourneys. A few leads for Bantam B coaches were mentioned and Steve is to investigate further.
Health/Safety Report: [none].
BTHL Representative's Report: Gabe and Ron attended. Fair Play point was discussed. Concensus was that one year was not enough time to make a decision. Many loved and many hated it. The meeting was well represented. Some teams expressed concern about having to stay overnight due to teams providing Sat PM & Sun AM game ice. BTHL now requiring teams to make two sheets of game ice available the same day unless other team agrees. 1.5 min penalty discussed. No real complaints except most tourneys still do 2 min penalties. Indian hill has petitioned to get into BTHL. Board reluctant to give IH membership because they have siphoned off so many players. Exec board accepted them on 1 year probationary basis. All seeding games will be at Goggin Sept 14-16. EOY tourney most likely in Cincinnati again.
MYHL Representative's Report: MYHL call 2 wks from tonight to talk about team formation, dates, etc.
* Election of officers
* Call for coaches
* Survey results. Egon to create a doc to post by next mtg.
* Sponsorship opps: sponsorship doc is ready to post on site. Board agreed to the need for a shared doc where we could document all potential sponsors that have been approached so that we don't hit folks up multiple times. Dwight agreed to look into setting up a shared repository for board collaboration.
* Pond Hockey: Starts this week. HS club team Thur at 9:30-10:30 for any HS age student. Fri 7:15 for Squirts and first year PeeWees: 8:15 for Second year PeeWees and Bantams. Need board members there 6:15-6:30 to collect money. Cost is $10 per skater & goalies are free.
* Status of coaches: already discussed.
* HS Club: Steve and Ron met with Allen Kleve and Dan Sens Thursday night to discuss how to fill rosters. Dan is to attend the next board meeting to discuss with the larger group.
* Level 1,2 & 3 Coaching clinics will be held at Goggin on Sept 22nd. Goggin will host a 4 team Squirt Jamboree on Sept 8th and a Peewee jamboree on Sept 9th. a preseason camp is also being planned for August 27-30.
* The Goggin www site is being redesigned and will have a Hockey Programs link that redirects to the BCYHL site.
New business for next meeting: discuss ways to leverage seeding tournament to raise money?
A motion was made to adjourn by Kelly Hubbard and seconded by Dwight Huddleston at 8:55 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, July 10th, 6:45 p.m. at Butler REC.
DATE & TIME: Tuesday, July 10, 6:45 PM
LOCATION: Butler Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., 3888 Stillwell Beckett Rd., Community Room
Meeting was called to order at 6:45 by Egon Kraan
Board Members/Representatives Present:
[ ] Ron Spaulding, President. X Bruce Gray. [ ] Steve McGrinder
X Egon Kraan, Vice President. X Josh Hillard. [ ] John Mihalik
X Michelle Deaton, Treasurer. X Gabe Holt
X Kristen Schwind, Registrar X Kelly Hubbard
[ ] Dwight Huddleston, Secretary. X Jen Lehman
Secretary's Report: Minutes from the June 12, 2012 meeting were presented and approve with motion to approve by Michele Deaton, Second by Josh Hillard.
Treasurer's Report: All ice bills are paid. Balances in Huntington $5606.08, Merchants $4071.03. Jen asked about ice fees, they will be established by August once home ice is finalized. Payments can start being made at any time.
Equipment Report: May need to get a few additional water bottles for pond hockey. We have 2 bags of pinnies, Kristen suggested that if coaches need pinnies for their teams, they use only the non-numbered pinnies. Numbered pinnies should be preserved for pond hockey and evaluations.
Registrar's Report: Rosters are on website. Kristen emailed coaches for confirmation since several players have been shifting. Kristen suggested that we possibly not have rosters available for public viewing for privacy and security purposes. July 21st registrar training meeting-Kristen will attend; in conjunction with Mid-Ams-Egon will attend. Jersey numbers almost all assigned. Kristen will impose BCYHA USA Hockey registration deadline by August 15th for coaches and players so rosters are ready for seeding tournament.
* Pond Hockey: Attendance has been picking up in more recent sessions. There was checking in past Friday’s Pewee/Bantam session, there should be no checking during pond hockey. Need to make sure we have coaches on ice for pond hockey sessions. Need a board member at tables for next few weeks. Josh can do this Friday (July 13th), Jen can cover Next (July 20th). Players evaluating at pond hockey, Steve McGrinder would like to evaluate all potential new players. Jen suggested setting aside one designated pond hockey day for evaluations. Or possibility to look at establishing cut off to evaluate
* Status of Coaches: Still seeking a coach for Peewee mixed team, have interviewed some candidates and received a new inquiry at pond hockey
* Coaching Clinics: Once Kristen gets USA hockey numbers from coaches she can look at certification levels.
* How to leverage BTHL Seeding Tourney to raise money: Buffalo Wild Wings has a fundraising program, Egon is meeting with manager to look at opening up over a 3 day period and handing out cards during seeding tournament. At last meeting, John Mihalik was checking on guidelines for fundraising/marketing at Goggin on this day. Egon suggested that information could possibly be delivered via a program.
* HS Club Discussion: Dan did not attend meeting, moved to new business for next meeting.
* Home Ice Schedules: Egon Kraan presented proposed 12-13 home ice schedule, total of 102 sheets. Egon will e-mail out to board for review and additional input. Kristen suggested consistency in naming teams once seeding has occurred.
* Google drive organized for gathering and tracking sponsorships.
New business for next meeting: HS Club Discussion,
A motion to adjourn was made by Josh Hillard, second by Michelle Deaton.
Submitted by Kelly Hubbard
The August meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at the Goggin Ice Center on August 14th. The meeting was called to order at 6:50 p.m. Board members present were: Michelle Deaton, Gabe Holt, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, Kristen Schwind, Ron Spaulding. Board members absent were Josh Hillard & Bruce Gray. Other Representatives present were John Mihalik (Goggin Representative) and Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator).
Guests:Rich Bohan, Dan Sens
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the July 10, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Michelle and seconded by Kristen.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $4,840.14. $2,530.03 at First Merchants and $2,310.11 at Huntington Bank.
Equipment Report: The jersey order will be placed this week. We have many socks that need to be inventoried before we place another order. We need to check with coaches to see if they have additional equipment/supply needs. Will probably need more score sheets by end of season.
Registrar's Report: Topics from MidAm registrar mtg: Any individual on ice or supervising locker room needs to be background screened. This also includes board members. We need to assess who has been checked and who hasn't and do all necessary checks. Implementation of SafeSport program needs to be a priority for BCYHA. It will likely be mandatory within the next couple of years so we should probably try to stay ahead of the implementation curve. This will necessitate the implementation of policies around locker room supervision, parents in locker room, etc.
Coaching edu requirements: levels 1-3 coaching clinics will be taught at Goggin on Sept 22nd. Every person on ice must have a current USA hockey number for liability reasons and must provide that number to Kristen. Student helpers have a special form and if under 18 don't need to be screened. There is also a free USA Hockey number/registration available to volunteers that won't be on the ice.
Need board approval for skate-up requests for: Bobby Pokupec, Brady Bacevich, Cody Brecke, Noah Holt & Adan Kraan. Motion to approve by Kelly, seconded by Michelle. All votes cast were in favor with 2 abstentions.
Per MidAm rules, players are only allowed to skate up 1 year level beyond their current age level. BCYHA has 1 player that this rule would affect. Since we weren't aware of this rule at the time of team formation the BCYHA board would like to honor our commitment to that player and family this year but will enforce the rule going forward. There was some discussion at the MidAm meeting that suggests that skate-up requests may not be allowed going forward. Discussion on that topic will continue later. In the future we must make sure all on ice participants at all BCYHA events have a current USA Hockey number on file with BCYHA. We may offer a one time waiver form to release BCYHA of liability in certain circumstances.
BCYHA www site is working well and we've renewed our annual hosting fees. NOTE: we are at our limit of 10 teams, if we add an 11th team in the future we will incur addnl costs of $125 annually.
Web Site security profiles have been emailed out. It would be helpful if board members would start to use their granted permissions. Any addnl feedback wold be appreciated. Everyone must use their own unique id and password going forward for security and privacy reasons.
Discussion at MidAm mtg regarding High School eligibility. Eligibility starts when student enters High School and continues for 8 consecutive semesters. Any break terminates eligibility.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: Coaches are now in place for every team but we will need to utilize HS students to help out. Coaches will be getting a basic handbook with rules, board contacts, quick ref summary page of basic rules & authorized people, CPR certs, etc. BCYHA will be formulating an emergency plan in conjunction with Goggin. It was suggested to designate a parent from each team to be in charge of the safety plan for all team events including games and practices. Still need helpers for PeeWee A & Bantam B teams. Steve & John to finalize plans for Power skating clinics tonight.
Health/Safety Report: SafeSport program: MidAm has a safe sport coordinator. In the next 2-3 years we will be required to have a safe sport coordinator. We believe we should do the same before we are required to do so. Ron to distribute SafeSport brochure to board members for review and will seek BCYHA volunteers at next meeting.
BTHL Representative's Report: Team apps were due Aug 10 and were completed. We submitted a spreadsheet roster but must have stamped signed rosters before seeding tourney on Sept 15-16. Board members expect to help out at Seeding Tourney. Teams must provide team reps for clock and score sheets. Team placements will be made after seeding and posted by Sept 26. Petitions to move up or down must be made by Sept 27. Mtg to approve any petitions will be Sept 28th and everything will be finalized by Sept 29th. End of season tourney to be held Feb 24-26.Ron to forward BTHL minutes to everyone.
MYHL Representative's Report: Kevin had a couple of mtgs. Numbers look strong. Growing slightly. Need contact info for head coaches and team mgrs to add to www site. Decided to use a ranking system to weigh strength of schedule to break EOY tournament into competitive tiers.
CAHA HS Representative's Report: Scheduling mtg Sept 26 6-8pm. First weekend for games is Nov 9-11. Last is Feb 23-25. End of season tourney March 1-3. Buckeye state tourney the following weekend. Number of teams dropping to possibly 9. Bellbrook still in question and may take pool players from CAHA. Should know situation this week. Expect officials to be calling chirping a little tighter this year. National Federation rules will be in play this year….All face offs on a dot, etc.
Leveraging seeding tourney to make money: not much we can do at Goggin. We will move forward with Buffalo WIld Wings Home Team Advantage cards which result in a 10% charitable donation to BCYHA. 500 cards will be ordered and distributed. The Woods will be providing some practice jerseys for the Bantam A team.
Hs club discussion:Will be clearing up misinformation on player eligibility.
Home ice schedules: Egon has just about finalized. Practice ice schedules have been uploaded to www site and game ice slots for each team have beed scheduled. Every coach will get their own slots. We have some addnl ice in Sept since HS team doesn't start until Oct. Team fees still need to be balanced. Some team fees are getting high due to smaller team sizes.
Google drive for collaboration on sponsorship tracking: Done. Kristen suggested using board forum feature on www site to place link.
HS club classification/roster size: No longer an issue.
CHSHL rules clarification/petition: Good to go.
Team info/meetings/reps:Need to get all team contact info, team mtg info, etc. Coaches should include board members in their meetings to answer questions.
A motion was made to adjourn by Dwight and seconded by Ron at 8:46 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for September, 11th, 6:45 p.m. at The Goggin Ice Center RM227.
The September meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at Goggin Ice Center on September 11th. The meeting was called to order at 6:48p.m. Board members present were: Michelle Deaton, Josh Hillard, Gabe Holt, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Jen Lehman, Kristen Schwind & Ron Spaulding. Board members absent were Bruce Gray & Egon Kraan. Other Representatives present were John Mihalik (Goggin Representative).
Guests: Dan Sens, Rich Bohan
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the August 14, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Michelle and seconded by Kristen.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $7,279.64 broken down as $5,055.03 at First Merchants and $2,224.64 at Huntington Bank. We've been processing lots of reimbursements for background checks.
Equipment Report: Jerseys should be here by 5:30 on Thur and socks were ordered. No water bottles or other supplies have been purchased for teams. Coaches should purchase their team water bottles/carriers and submit to the board for reimbursement. John has second locker avail for HS club team.
Registrar's Report: Team manager mtg last week went well. Recommended teams send reps to board mtgs. Alerted managers of changes coming: Safesport program, etc. Should have stamped rosters for all teams for tourney this weekend. Generally positive feedback from coaches regarding changes on www site. Changed the way we show our contact info on the site. Contact page now much more extensive. Have a complete list of coaches and their edu requirements/status. Permission to set background screening deadline for Sept 30th. Midamhockeyscreen.com is the www site to initiate your background check.
Rosters: Will likely add another Bantam A player who decided not to go Dayton AA.
Skate up vote for peewee->bantam request was unanimous against due to previously adopted policy against skate-ups from non-checking level to checking level. Signed rosters must be presented on checkin at seeding tournament.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: [n/a].
Health/Safety Report: We need to ensure equipment for all skaters is in good repair and fits properly. There is a good selection of gear available in the pro shop. John is ordering concussion helmets so anyone who wants one can get one. John ordered Bauer track suit samples if any teams are looking to get track suits. Can also get CCM or Reebok brands if desired.
BTHL Representative's Report: Silver Sticks tourney in Ft Wayne will be held Nov 23-25. Final divisions for BTHL will be posted on BTHL site Sept 30th. All team schedules must be completed by Oct 6th. Josh to send out email to all coaches/managers for important dates. BTHL contact info needs to be updated and sent to webmaster.
MYHL Representative's Report: Ron missed last con call and has not seen minutes yet. Tom Wolfe is open to idea of becoming MYHL rep.
* HS Club classification/roster size: Kristen needs contact to determine proper classification. Ron to provide.
* CHSHL rules clarification/petition: resolved.
* Team info/meetings/reps: all set. All intro mtgs done.
* SafeSport Discussion. Do we want to assign a coordinator for 2012? Tabled until Oct mtg. Need further review
* Background checks status: All coaches and team mgrs complete.
* Game Jerseys & Socks: Availability/Distribution/Payment see above.
* General Fundraising (Blue Jackets Spotlight Night, etc): BW3 cards here. Need to get more detail from Egon. Practice jerseys, warmups, hats all fair game for endorsements. Sponsorships/endorsements should all be at the association or team level. There are other programs to assist at the individual level if needed.
A motion was made to adjourn by Dwight and seconded by Josh at 9:01 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 9th, 6:45 p.m. at Goggin Ice Center Rm 227.
The October meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at Goggin Ice Center on October 9th. The meeting was called to order at 6:47 p.m. Board members present were: Bruce Gray, Josh Hillard, Gabe Holt, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, Kristen Schwind & Ron Spaulding. Board members absent were Michelle Deaton. Other Representatives present were John Mihalik (Goggin Representative).
Guests: Brian Thompson (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the September 11, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Bruce and seconded by Egon.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $19,157.98 broken down as $14,661.54 at First Merchants and $4,496.44 at Huntington Bank.
Equipment Report: Jerseys have been delivered and a couple of corrections to jerseys have been made. Pucks still missing from last week. Need to have a procedure to track pucks and establish accountability. Game sheets. We need to order some. Kristen will take care of it.
Registrar's Report: Sent request to managers and coaches to complete background checks. Good success. Only 1 assistant coach not screened. A few board members still need to be checked. It was suggested to try distributing minutes to board members using the alias through the www site next time. Kristen will update the list to include all non-board member representatives as well. Submitted all but 2 rosters to date. Attending squirt B meeting tomorrow at 6:30 pm. Skate-up form modified and posted on www site. Have coaching edu update report. Roster issue: peewee mixed team played an unrostered player Sunday. We need to let BTHL know of mishap and that we are putting a process in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: Question on misconduct penalty addressed. All evals are done and decisions have been made. Squirt B team has 4 skate up requests and all have been approved.
Health/Safety Report: Need to send out a concussion policy reminder to everyone now that games have started.
BTHL Representative's Report: Very little new to report. Final divisions have been posted. Lot of discussion about early scheduling. Discussed fair play points. Silver sticks Peewee AA in Dayton Dec 8-10.
MYHL Representative's Report: Had final board mtg before season started. Introduced Tom Wolfe as new rep. Got final team counts. All of our teams have games scheduled. 14 squirt teams 13 peewee teams and 10 bantam teams. Troy has pulled all teams from BTHL and entered MYHL.
* SafeSport Discussion: Do we want to assign a coordinator for 2012? Tabled until next meeting.
* Background checks status: See Above
* Game Jerseys & Socks: See Above
* General Fundraising: Brian Thompson with Columbus Blue Jackets was present to discuss the Blue Jackets Spotlight Night fundraiser opportunity. If no season we would receive a full refund. Program based on number of kids in association. The more players, the more ice time you get. Fee per skater $20. Will develop spotlight night BCYHA. Offer discounted tickets. $5 for each ticket back to assoc. One team gets to play at intermission. Recognition throughout game. Kids on board during game. 3 hours of ice time at nationwide. 16 person suite to use or raffle. Provide some autograph memorabilia. Motion to take a vote made by Bruce, seconded by Kelly. Vote unanimous in favor.
* Spirit wear: need to get logo from Michelle.
* Newsletter: We want to get first edition out ASAP but don't want to leave any teams out for game announcements. Need to have all schedules by EOD Friday.
* Picture date: Pictures will be taken Oct 24-25.
A motion was made to adjourn by Dwight and seconded by Josh at 8:32 p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 13th, 6:45 p.m. at Goggin Ice Center Rm 227.
The November meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at Goggin Ice Center on November 13th. The meeting was called to order at 6:49 p.m. Board members present were: Michelle Deaton, Bruce Gray, Josh Hillard, Gabe Holt, Kelly Hubbard, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, Kristen Schwind & Ron Spaulding. Other Representatives present: John Mihalik (Goggin Representative)
Guests: John Deprie
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the October 9th, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Egon and seconded by Bruce.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $31,445.28 broken down as $27,106.85 at First Merchants and $4,338.43 at Huntington Bank. Two sponsor letters with checks were received for Tincher and Mahoney teams. A check was written for the goalie clinic to cover first goalie session.
Equipment Report: Score sheets are in. Extra helmet stickers are in the locker.
Registrar's Report: Important note: There will be no more fast roster changes. MidAm is only processing rosters on a weekly basis now and that is out of our control. Two roster changes need to be made: One Peewee AA player is leaving BCYHA and one Bantam player is going to Talawanda. If anyone needs to process a roster it will always get back dated to the date Kristen sends it in. Coaching edu report: There are still several coaches (more than half) that need to complete online coaching modules. Deadline for completion is nearing.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: A Peewee goalie will be added as an emergency goalie on the roster for the Bantam B team. Emergency goalie is only to be utilized in case of emergency and only if the current goalie is unable to play AND provided the Peewee goalie is not missing a Peewee game. Vote was unanimous.
Health/Safety Report: Skaters who are not members of the association are not covered by our insurance and should not be on the ice during BCYHA sessions. Question has come up on game misconduct and whether it should be issued without apparent injury. Gabe is considering becoming the BCYHA Safesport rep.
BTHL Representative's Report: Nothing new to report. Up to home team to report fair play points.
MYHL Representative's Report: Ron got minutes from last mtg. Fees for tournament set. Looking for plan to have majority of games at Goggin. Looking for more board involvement this year.
* Safesport discussion: Gabe to consider position.
* Newsletter: We want to get first edition out ASAP but don't want to leave any teams out for game announcements. Need to have all schedules by EOD Friday. Send suggestions to Jen for future editions.
* Picture date: Pictures were taken Oct 24-25 for all teams but one.
* Puck responsibility: How to solve? Need someone to be responsible. Wednesday evening seems to be the problem night. We don't anticipate it being a problem again due to recent visibility. Everybody needs to keep an eye on the situation.
* Jr Redhawks Brotherhood: Program needs more board involvement if it is going to be a BCYHA program.
* BCYHA Bylaw review: as we grow we need to keep by laws up to date as well. Bring your edits to the next meeting for discussion.
* Spirit Wear: Kelly working to get BCYHA logo ready for spirit wear. WWW site to be setup to allow teams to get fund raising credit for their individual sales.
A motion was made to adjourn by Gabe and seconded by Dwight at 8:51p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 11, 6:45 p.m. at Goggin Ice Center Rm 227.
The December meeting of the Butler County Youth Hockey Association was conducted at Goggin Ice Center on December 11th. The meeting was called to order at 6:52 p.m. Board members present were: Michelle Deaton, Bruce Gray, Gabe Holt, Dwight Huddleston, Egon Kraan, Jen Lehman, Kristen Schwind & Ron Spaulding. Not present were: Josh Hillard, Kelly Hubbard. Other Representatives present: Steve McGrinder (Coaching Coordinator)
Guests: John Deprie
Secretary's Report: The minutes from the November 13th, 2012 meeting were presented and approved with motion to approve by Bruce and seconded by Michelle.
Treasurer's Report: The bank account balance for BCYHA is $35,114.33 broken down as $27,302.85 at First Merchants and $7811.48 at Huntington Bank. Refunded half of Porczak fee. Paid for HS Club trophies. PeeWee Mixed and Rich's Squirt team both registered for a brickyard tourney in Indy. Had to write a check for tourney and get money orders for refs. $250 total for refs. Tourney fees were $785 each. Paying Capital Varsity bill out of Huntington Bank account. Ice bill coming up mid Jan. Considering retaining a CPA firm due to new IRS requirements.
Equipment Report: Pucks are in short supply again. Ordering pucks tonight. PeeWee A mixed doesn't have water bottles but doesn't want team bottles. We have 2 sets of pinnies in the lockers that are numbered and should be used only for evaluations. If coaches need pinnies for practice please use the non-numbered pinnies.
Registrar's Report: Verified with BTHL that it is ok to double roster goalies. Double roster of goalies across Squirt A teams is fine as long as done by 12/31.
Coaching Coordinator's Report: 4 people on list that don't have up to date level certs that require taking a class. Steve sent a blanket email today: 16 online modules need to be completed. Head coaches have been asked to make sure all coaches are in compliance. Assessment of which teams will be in jeopardy if certs aren't complete will be done later this evening by Steve. Suggestion for BCYHA to think about supplying warm up pucks for home games. This should result in minimizing lost pucks to other team.
TPH spring program is looking for top players that would benefit from participating in that program. It's a prospect camp and will result in inviting kids to their AAA program. 90% of participants will come back to our program after spring hockey. Good opportunity for eligible kids. Coaches need to provide a list of players that they feel would be prospects. We need to send only highly qualified kids that best represent our program. Second year mites thru second year PeeWees would qualify.
Health/Safety Report: Gabe Holt is new BCYHA rep. Looks like implementation will begin next year at BTHL level. Program is essentially a vehicle to confidentially report abuse. There have been a few concussions within the association. Questions earlier about the concussion forms and releases….Last newsletter addressed this and everyone seems to be in compliant. Miami helpers must have helmets on when helping on the ice. There have been reports of some helpers recently not wearing helmets.
BTHL Representative's Report: Nothing new.
MYHL Representative's Report: Next board mtg we need to be prepared to start laying foundation for MYHL tournament at Goggin on Feb 22-24. Last year Tim Bilbrey did quite a bit of work organizing this event and might be someone that we can reach out to for assistance this year.
* Puck Responsibility: Situation seems to have improved a bit. Coaches are more aware and are taking responsibility. Suggestion is to buy a puck bag for each team and seed them with a certain number of pucks.
* Jr Redhawks Brotherhood: Draft of program has been reviewed and is ready for release pending approval from Miami staff.
* BCYHA Bylaw review: To be continued.
* PeeWee Major player released and taken care of.
* Coaching EDU requirements: Previously discussed.
* SafeSport Representation for BCYHA. Gabe taking this role.
* Bantam B: Short number of skaters becoming problematic. Team getting beat pretty badly due to exhaustion, suggestion of considering bringing kids up to join team. Observation is that level of play and checking has been mild at this level. Only 7 skaters and a goalie currently on the team. We as an organization really have no options other than try to recruit new players who want to learn to play hockey. There are a couple of new kids that have been showing up for FreeStyle that could be candidates. John Mihalik should have the names of the kids.
* Talawanda opening up one of their forfeited game sessions to open skate. Sun 12/16 2:15-4:15 Skating only….no gear but BCYHA kids are encouraged to wear their Jerseys to encourage team spirit and interest in learning to play hockey.
* Locker Rooms: Our teams are leaving the locker rooms dirty. We need to make sure coaches and team managers inspect and verify teams are taking care of locker rooms.
A motion was made to adjourn by Dwight and seconded by Egont at 8:43p.m. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 15th, 6:45 p.m. at Goggin Ice Center Rm 227.